All Board members will be appointed by the Editor-in-Chief (with the exception of the Editor-in-Chief in case of a vacancy, who is then appointed and approved by the full JIS staff). All board members must be willing and able to attend all JIS staff meetings, either digitally or in-person. The hours listed are the maximum paid hours for the position; during events and peak times during the year board members may be expected to put in more time in order to accomplish necessary tasks.
- Editor in Chief (5 hours per week). The Editor in Chief is responsible for supervising and directing all aspects of the Journal’s activities, including publication, events, operations, and training. He or she hires and oversees the rest of the Executive Board in the conduct of their duties on behalf of the Journal. The Editor in Chief is a member of the Graduate Student Council of the School of International Service, and attends all GSC meetings in order to represent the interests of the Journal.
- Editorial Director (2 hours per week). The Editorial Director manages the assignment of submitted papers to senior editors, supervises their recommended changes and interactions with the submitting author, and makes recommendations to the Editor in Chief on suitability of finished work for publication.
- Operations Director (2.5 hours per week). The Operations Director is the primary manager of the Journal’s operating budget and liaison with the Office of Student Involvement for making and managing payments. The Operations Director also is the lead planner and coordinator for Journal events, including room reservations and catering. Finally, the Operations Director is responsible for assisting the Editor in Chief with selecting and coordinating with a publisher for the printing of the physical Journal, following approval of final content by the Editor in Chief.
- Outreach Director (2 hours per week). The Outreach Director manages the Journal’s recruitment, awareness, and media presence. These duties include ensuring the Journal’s website (jis-online.org) and social media accounts are up to date and contain relevant information.
- Submissions Director (2 hours per week). The Submissions Director manages the intake and peer review process for the Journal. Once papers have been submitted to the Journal, the Submissions Director reviews them to ensure that they meet Journal guidelines for submitted work, then assigns junior editors to conduct peer reviews. Once reviews have been completed, the Submissions Director either hands off the submission to the Editorial Director, or returns it to the author with a list of issues preventing progress towards publication.
- Training and Resources Director (2 hours per week). The Training and Resources Director conducts the initial training and evaluation in formatting and citation standards, giving feedback, and utilizing Journal resources for all new staff before they begin their duties. The Training and Resources Director also leads Writing Workshops for SIS students, and acts as the knowledge manager for the Journal.
Editors: (4-8 hours per semester). Junior and senior editors support the mission of the Journal by evaluating submissions to ensure only quality articles are published, and help authors achieve that level of quality in their writing. Junior editors report to the Submissions Director and conduct peer reviews to evaluate submissions. Senior editors report to the Editorial Director and work with authors to refine their submission for publication.